While Warner Bros. has yet to announce if there will be more Mad Max films, Director George Miller says there will be.
[dropcap size=small]T[/dropcap]he Australian director of Mad Max: Fury Road, George Miller, joined Twitter this past Sunday and in his first tweet he said, “Hello Twitter! Thanks for all the kind words written and said about the film. We had a lot of fun making it and there’s more Max to come.” It’s a pretty bold statement to make, considering that Mad Max: Fury Road hasn’t even been in theaters for a week now and Warner Bros. hasn’t announce anything to support this statement. But yet, it isn’t too bold of a statement either. The post-apocalyptic movie has made $109 million internationally during its opening weekend. In his talk with Vice, which you can watch below, George Miller seems fairly confident that he will be making more Mad Max movies.
In addition to director George Miller feeling quite confident in making more Mad Max films, Tom Hardy discussed in an interview last month about how he’s going to be in three other movies in the series. However, Tom Hardy seems to be a bit more level-headed about whether or not there will be more movies. In the interview he said, “Everything’s based on figures and how things are perceived. Inevitably, it’s a business.”
It isn’t just the absence of Warner Bros. releasing a statement that there will be a sequel or sequels to Mad Max: Fury Road that has many people questioning if George Miller’s tweet is something to be taken seriously. Charlize Theron, who plays Furiosa in the movie, has already spoken up about how she isn’t very eager to be in another movie. And you can’t really blame Charlize Theron either. “It was the isolation, and the fact that we were stuck in a rig for the entire shoot. We shot a war movie on a moving truck — there’s very little green screen. It was like a family road trip that just never went anywhere,” the actress said. “We never got anywhere. We just drove. We drove into nothingness, and that was maddening sometimes. And it’s material that’s really frightening — we didn’t have a script. Tom and I are actors who take our jobs seriously. Both of us want to please the directors we work with, and when you don’t know if you can deliver on that, it’s a frightening place to be — and for Tom more than me, because he was stepping into big shoes.”
Tom Hard is indeed stepping into big shoes. The actor, who had several heated debates with George Miller as well as Charlize Theron, is filling in the role of Mad Max that was left behind by Mel Gibson. Mel Gibson starred in the original three films Mad Max, Mad Max: The Road Warrior, and Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. All three of these movies were directed by George Miller and they did very well in the box office with great overall ratings. With that being said, it’s too soon to decide if whether or not Warner Bros. will give George Miller the green light to direct another, or several more, movies. It all comes down to if Mad Max: Fury Road will be just as, if not more, successful than the previous three movies.