Earlier this week, Valve tweeted out a teaser for a new entry in the Half-Life series, something that many fans were all too excited for. However, Alyx is not the Half-Life 3 that many online folks have been campaigning for over the years. Instead, the game takes place between 1 and 2 and is exclusively available as a VR experience.
Built on Valve’s ‘Source 2’ engine, Alyx will come with a variety of tools and resources that will allow players to build brand new levels of their own.
Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game’s virtual reality gameplay tools and components
If you take a look at the Half-Life: Alyx website (which looks really freakin’ cool), you will find all you need to know about what is required for you to run the game and how you can play. Let’s take a look at some of the more key things to note:
- The game will come with multiple play-options, meaning you can play either sitting or standing, depending on what you prefer.
- CPU Requirements: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
- GPU Requirements: GTX 1060 / RX 580 – 6GB VRAM
- Recommended Memory: 12 GB RAM
- If you have VR hardware that works with a computer, then it works with SteamVR.
- A set of Source 2 tools for building new levels will be available for the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game’s virtual reality gameplay tools and components.
Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Half-Life: Alyx is a new full-length game built from the ground up by Valve for virtual reality.
Half-Life: Alyx is Valve’s VR return to the Half-Life series. It’s the story of an impossible fight against a vicious alien race known as the Combine, set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2. Playing as Alyx Vance, you are humanity’s only chance for survival.
Half-Life: Alyx is scheduled to be available on Steam in March of 2020, and can be pre-purchased for a $6 discount (standard price: $59.99) if you pick it up sooner than later. Also, you can expect a handful of cosmetic pre-order bonuses, not just the discount.
There is no word on whether or not a version of the game will be available with mouse and keyboard support.